10 Ways the Australian Football League conglomerate shows its contempt for grass roots football
Despite various subterfuges and secretagogues to hide it, the AFL:-
1.Endlessly tinkers (ludicrously) with rules of the game during the summer, abandons them in the regular season, but maintains their imposition on the so-called lower leagues.
2. Sets its competition, not around fairness, but around TV Scheduling.
3. Swamps us with so much advertising (for fast food, beer and gambling) on such a high rotation, that nausea ensues.
4. Provides nil local coverage.
5. Doesn’t bother to provide local scores.
6. Rapes and pillages young talent whilst imposing trickle-down funding of below-subsistence level on local clubs.
7. Grotesquely extorts and expends billions of TV dollars.
8. Is suspiciously slipshod in investigating drug and salary-cap infractions.
9. Panders to social trends in a manner both disingenuous and exploitative.
10.Dishes up a product so confected, violently over-hyped and piss-weak that the odd good game sticks in the mind for years.